Rajma Chawal is often cooked in a Punjabi house.This recipe of one pot rajma is an extremely fascinating and magnificent recipe of my mom in law. The specialty of this dish owes to her. This dish requires no grinding and no frying at all.
Ingredients (measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
Method Of Preparation
- 1 and half cup rajma/red kidney beans, soaked overnight
- 2 medium sized onions, finely chopped
- 4-5 medium sized tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 and half tablespoon ginger-garlic, chopped
- 1 or 2 green chillies, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2tsp red chili powder or as required
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tsp punjabi garam masala powder or as required
- 1 tsp dry mango powder/amchur or as required
- 3 tbsp butter, preferably white butter or 3 tbsp oil or ghee
- 6 to 7 cups water
- Salt or rock salt as required
- Some coriander leaves for garnish
Rajma being cooked in a pot or pan :
- The onions and the capsicum should be sliced.
- Smooth paste of ginger, tomatoes, garlic, green chilies, coconut, cloves, cinnamon, and jeera powder should be made.
- The rice should be cleaned and washed. You should soak the rice for 20-25 minutes in a pan. You should heat ghee or oil.
- The bay leaves and the cumin seeds should be fried.
- Sliced onions should be added and browned.
- The sliced capsicum should now be added and it should be cooked for 2 to 3 minutes.
- The masala paste should be measured in a measuring cup. It should be added.
- 4 cups of paste would be required for 2 cups of rice.
- You should add water if the yield of the paste is less.
- Salt should be added and it should be covered and cooked till it is done.
The Rajma should be soaked for 8-9 hours. It should be drained and rinsed with fresh water. Enough water should be boiled in a huge pot. Rajma and salt should be added. It should be covered and cooked for about 45 minutes to 1 hour and more, if required. It consumes a lot of time to cook Rajma if it is not cooked in a pressure cooker.